“His” or “The Trophy”

Knowing I was vulnerable. He leaned forward. Looked me in the eyes. The moment of predation had arrived. I looked back through tears. Gently. Concerned. Carefully. Not to startle. Knowing he was about to suggest something wicked – a betrayal. Deceit. Ambush of defenseless, unawares friends. “I have a plan for you.  A program. We’ll get organized. A schedule. Simplify.” All was outlined. And with those whispered words, close to my face, to my heart, I was saved… and my freedom gone. My integrity vanished with my will. I’d throw in with a malignant force.  In that moment… of my surrender… I became his. I was devoted. This is how the door closed against the gales of life outside. Blissful. To be the devoured. How I was corrupted. And once turned, I couldn’t change course. My freedom… gone. I’d mistaken what he offered to me as freedom. It was the opposite. It was an iron clamp of commitment, a box with no exit. Henceforth, my abode. Once I’d jumped, the die was cast. As a pilot reckons the point at which there is not enough fuel and food to turn back, I passed “the point of no return.”  He assured me when I showed signs of doubt. Power was his and he would “protect” me and my treachery. Reward it even with his attentions. Deliver me.  My conscience was put down. My instincts, tranquilized under the spell of soothsaying. Now I was sheltered. Favored by divine attention. Blessed. Shielded from the living wind streaking across the sun and stars – swept lands. I was inside now. “Relax.”  Life’s energy contained, tamed. My senses enclosed. We moved a little among the still pieces of wooden furniture -- fixtures. My destiny was now fixed, corrected, and cemented. It was cramped. A ceiling replaced the frightening openness. Walls encased me. My independence was transformed. The magic had universal impact. All fell silent. Calming. Smooth. All was muffled. Life’s sensations dampened. I was enveloped. Cushioned. Taken in.  I felt deaf, removed from the sonorous atmosphere of the wild. Depth became flat. Spectra of light and sound narrowed. Monotonal monotony. Things dimmed.  Space thinned. Emptied. “Here’s an idea already published. Think it again. Rewrite it. I’ll help.” Recite after me. In his powerful hands, I was rescued from struggle – effort – survival – life – the choices that constitute creation and innovation, what would have been my voice became his. Now I was lost in a chorus of mutes. My “programming,” my mind was funneled, directed by one who covers a child’s hand to help them write the A, B, Cs. Not even “their” A, B, Cs. The outcome was blissfully predictable. I became a tool, an instrument. A terminus.  “Do this, this way.” My life, ordained, I recoiled from the challenge of creation into the womb of apathy… I don’t, I can’t… care. Salvation was all about me. But then I understood the savior’s lust for status – I was a hero’s conquest. Risk evaporated and with it the vital energy of my soul. I relaxed and turned my mind off. No more surprises to cope with. No possibility of making a mistake. Peaceful repose. “Welcome to my harem,” he said. “Inside these walls, there are no surprises.”  Sleep. Adult coping was no longer necessary. The need to decide, to think lifted as I willingly gave away my soul and conscience. Like dead matter following the laws of nature, all that was left was to follow instructions to the appointed end. The future for my mind collapsed to a point. What appeared to be progress was secretly replaced with an inextricable conveyor. Standing still I moved “forward” as on an assembly line. But it was circular.  I would (be) finished. “Here’s how it’s done.” Nothing left but to wait for the last light to fade. The world’s luminescent atmosphere vibrating with unforeseen opportunities colors spectacular, all replaced with cold, steady fluorescence and an endless sixty cycle hum. Packaged. Redundant.  I was delivered. My small flame, irrelevant. His burned brighter the more I submitted and surrendered. The god of cold flame. I’d become a Nabokovian character. Everything settled, sedimented. Motionless. On schedule. No need to live to see tomorrow because it’s already known. Not a ripple. The fuel was gone. I arrived at my destination before I’d left.  Returned as if I’d never gone. Domesticated. Trained. No growth. Even redundant tricks are hard now. I need him to do anything. I can’t move. But that’s good.  I move my lips without sound, chanting the words given to me long ago. Repeat. Repeat. Easy tedium.  Recitation without citation. “Home again.” The journey never happened. Imprisoned in timeless adoration. Frozen by taxidermy. I am preserved as a trophy on the wall. Forevermore, his.

Popular posts from this blog

Political Party Affiliation

Art Around the Globe

Addendum (More details and opinions if you are interested)

Ethics

Not the Smartest on the Planet Anymore

GRE costs